Sexual Assault Defense Attorneys in Scotch Plains, NJ
Sexual Assault Defense Lawyers Fight to Protect Your Reputation and Your Freedom in Newark, Somerset, Elizabeth, and Across New Jersey
Getting charged with sexual assault is especially difficult because of the stigma attached to crimes of this nature. You are likely ashamed and embarrassed, and these overwhelming feelings can make it difficult to focus on finding the right legal help. However, the importance of hiring an attorney experienced in this area of the law cannot be stressed enough. Sexual assault charges are not taken lightly in the state of New Jersey. You can spend many years in prison, see your reputation ruined and find it unbelievably difficult to get housing or employment in the future.
Do not make the mistake of working with the wrong law firm. At the law offices of Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC, our criminal defense lawyers examine every detail of your case to identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. We move quickly and skillfully throughout the entire process. Our experience as former prosecutors gives us valuable insight into their tactics. We will fight aggressively to protect your rights, freedom and reputation in Scotch Plains, Westfield, Union and all over New Jersey.
Sexual Assault Charges in New Jersey Are Divided Into Two Categories
You may be facing one of two charges: sexual assault or aggravated sexual assault. Both categories of sexual assault occur when an individual forces a victim to engage in a sexual act against the victim’s will. It is also considered sexual assault if the victim is not mentally capable of giving consent (such as having passed out from alcohol or drug use or mentally handicapped), or is below the age of consent.
Sexual assault occurs when:
- An individual uses force or coercion without causing physical injury to the victim
- An individual with supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim (boss prison guard, nurse in a mental hospital) coerces the victim into a sex act
- The victim is younger than 18, but at least 16, and the offender is in a position of power (teacher, coach, therapist), or is the victim’s family member or guardian
- The victim is younger than 16, but at least 13, and the offender is at least four years older
Aggravated sexual assault occurs when:
- The victim is younger than 13
- The victim is 13, 14, or 15 and the offender is in a position of power, or is the victim’s family member or guardian
- The assault was committed in combination with a another certain crime such as kidnapping or robbery
- The offender possessed a weapon
- One or more other people aided the offender
- The offender used physical force that caused serious physical injury to the victim
- The offender was aware, or should have been aware, that the victim was not mentally capable of providing consent, or was physically helpless to stop the offender
Skilled NJ Criminal Defense Lawyers Understand How to Successfully Defend Sexual Assault Charges
Penalties for sexual assault depend on whether you are charged with sexual assault or aggravated sexual assault. Sexual assault is a second degree crime punishable with up to 10 years in prison plus up to $150,000 in fines. But if charged with aggravated sexual assault, you face up to 20years in prison and $200,000 in penalties. Either way you face a long time in prison. Also those convicted of these crimes are placed on the sex offender registry in New Jersey which can affect employment, housing and the like after prison.
However, a skilled criminal defense attorney can help you understand what you will face as we work tirelessly to defend your rights in an attempt to get the charges dismissed or at least downgraded. We know, unfortunately, people accuse others of these types of crimes because of hurt feelings, or in anger over breaking up or even confusion over what actually happened. Maybe you, as the one charged, may have believed the sexual act was consensual. Maybe you were unknowingly drugged and did not have the capacity to control your behavior, let alone to form a criminal intent. We will investigate your case and seek to discredit your accuser.
Additionally, one of our experienced attorneys will evaluate the prosecution’s case to see how strong it actually is before moving forward. It is not uncommon for the defense to negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser charge or a penalty reduction. For example, with a skilled attorney you may qualify for probation instead of jail time. The attorneys at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC have experience defending clients in the most difficult sexual assault cases in Bloomfield, Montclair, Orange and all over New Jersey.
If You’re Facing Sexual Assault Charges, Contact an Experienced Plainfield NJ Criminal Lawyer Immediately
The experienced and successful criminal defense lawyers at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC will fight aggressively to protect your reputation and your freedom. Contact our legal team for a free consultation about your case in Bridgewater, Somerville, Bedminster, Hillsborough, Bernards Township and throughout New Jersey.