New Jersey Pre-Trial Intervention Lawyers
NJ PTI Attorney Help Criminal Defendants Stay Out of Jail
Being arrested for the first time can be a scary ordeal for anyone, which is why it is important to know your options. New Jersey offers a program called Pretrial Intervention (PTI) to first time offenders. The Union County law firm of Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC, which specializes in criminal defense law, can assist you with your admission to this beneficial program.
What Is a Pretrial Intervention?
Pretrial Intervention is a program designed to rehabilitate first time offenders and offer them an opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution.
Am I Eligible for a Pretrial Intervention?
If you have been charged with an indictable offense in New Jersey, you can apply for the Pretrial Intervention program. PTI is only available in Superior Court cases.
After applying, the prosecutor and PTI director will determine if PTI is proper. Under N.J.S.A. §2C:43-12, prosecutors and program directors use the following criteria to determine whether pretrial intervention is appropriate:
- The nature of the offense
- The facts of the case
- The motivation and age of the defendant
- The desire of the complainant or victim to forego prosecution
- The existence of personal problems and character traits which may be related to the applicant’s crime
- The likelihood that the applicant’s crime is related to a condition or situation that would be conducive to change
- The needs and interests of the victim and society
- The extent to which the applicant’s crime constitutes part of a continuing pattern
- The applicant’s record of criminal and penal violations
- Whether the crime is violent in nature
- Whether prosecution would exacerbate the social problem that led to the applicant’s crime
- The applicant’s history of violence
- Any involvement in organized crime
- Whether the crime is of such a nature that the value of treatment would outweigh prosecution
- Whether the applicant’s participation in pretrial intervention will adversely affect the prosecution of co-defendants
- Whether harm done to society by abandoning criminal prosecution will be outweighed by the benefits
What Are the Benefits of Pretrial Intervention?
Completion of the New Jersey Pretrial Intervention program can be extremely advantageous because it allows a New Jersey defendant to avoid a criminal conviction. Preventing a criminal conviction leaves you with no criminal record, allows you to avoid potential imprisonment and fines, and keeps you from paying high court costs.
How Do I Apply for the Pretrial Intervention (PTI) Program in NJ?
Discuss your case with a New Jersey lawyer. Admission to the Pretrial Intervention program can be a complex process. Our experienced defense lawyers handle pretrial applications throughout Union County, New Jersey, including Plainfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Garwood, and Westfield. On the client’s behalf, we will deal with eligibility issues and contact all necessary parties to the pretrial intervention process including the county prosecutor and PTI director. Furthermore, upon successful completion of the Pretrial Intervention program, we will work to have the charges expunged from your record.
Free Consultations Available – New Jersey PTI Attorneys
You can reach us 24 hours a day. Call (908) 322-7000.
Contact us to schedule your free consultation today!