Shoplifting Attorney in NJ
New Jersey Shoplifting Defense Lawyers Help Clients Fight Retail Theft Charges
A shoplifting charge can be damaging to you and those that depend on you. In New Jersey, a third shoplifting conviction will result in a 90 day prison sentence. Without the proper legal defense, you could be putting yourself and your family at risk. The Union County law firm of Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC is ready to act now. Our lawyers specialize in criminal defense law and know how to help you.
What Constitutes Shoplifting in New Jersey?
Under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-11b, there are several different acts that can amount to shoplifting. These acts include:
- Taking merchandise without paying the full retail price
- Concealing merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value
- Altering, transferring, or removing the label or price tag of any merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value
- Transferring merchandise from one container to another with the intent of depriving the owner of its full value
- Under-ringing merchandise
- Removing a shopping cart with no intention of returning it
What Are the Penalties for Shoplifting in New Jersey?
The penalties for shoplifting in New Jersey can be severe depending on the value of the stolen merchandise. Under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-11c, the following penalties apply:
Type of Offense
$75,000 or more
5 – 10 years
Up to $150,000
Over $500 and less than $75,000
3 – 5 years
Up to $150,000
$200 to $500
Up to 18 months
Up to $10,000
Less than $200
Up to 6 months
Up to $1,000
I Have Been Charged with Shoplifting in New Jersey – What Should I Do?
Always discuss your case with a New Jersey lawyer. If you have been charged with any of these offenses, our team of skilled lawyers and expert negotiators are prepared to vigorously defend you. We will get the surveillance tape and interview store security to assist you in your defense. Our law firm has handled shoplifting cases across Union County, New Jersey, including Plainfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Garwood, and Westfield.
Free Consultations Available – New Jersey Shoplifting Attorneys
You can reach us 24 hours a day. Call (908) 322-7000
Contact us to schedule your free consultation today!