East Brunswick Shoplifting Lawyers
Retail Theft Defense Attorneys Represent Clients Charged with Shoplifting in East Brunswick, NJ
In New Jersey, what it means to shoplift is often misinterpreted. Shoplifting does not necessarily involve taking an item from a store and hiding it in your jacket.
Shoplifting offenses include:
- Taking merchandise without paying the full retail price
- Concealing merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value
- Altering, transferring, or removing the label or price tag of any merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value
- Transferring merchandise from one container to another with the intent of depriving the owner of its full value
- Under-ringing merchandise
- Removing a shopping cart with no intention of returning it
Penalties for Shoplifting in East Brunswick, New Jersey
The severity of the shoplifting charge will depend upon the amount stolen.
- 2nd degree offense: shoplifted merchandise in the amount of $75,000 or more
- 3rd degree offense: shoplifted merchandise in the amount of over $500 to $75,000
- 4th degree offense: shoplifted merchandise in the amount of $200 to $500
- Disorderly persons offense: shoplifted merchandise in the amount of less than $200
Shoplifting can result in harsh penalties. For example, shoplifting merchandise between $200 and $500 is a 4th degree indictable offense, which carries with it penalties of up to eighteen (18) months in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Misdemeanor Shoplifting Charges Heard in East Brunswick Municipal Court
If you are charged with shoplifting in East Brunswick, the amount of the merchandise taken will determine which New Jersey Court will handle your case. East Brunswick Municipal Court generally handles shoplifting cases where the amount of merchandise taken totals less than $200. All other shoplifting cases are generally handled in Middlesex County Superior Court.
Middlesex County Superior Court is located at 56 Paterson Street, New Brunswick, New Jersey. The Criminal Division of the Court handles shoplifting cases.
East Brunswick Municipal Court is located at 1 Civic Center Drive. The law firm of Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC represents clients from East Brunswick facing shoplifting offenses.
Free Consultations Available – East Brunswick Shoplifting Attorneys
If you would like to schedule a free consultation to discuss a shoplifting offense, you can call us at (732) 651-9999. We are available 24 hours a day.
Directions to East Brunswick Municipal Court
1 Civic Center Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Traveling south on NJ Turnpike
- Take exit 9 to Route 18 South. Proceed 2.5 miles to Cranbury exit (Middlesex County Rt. 525 south). Proceed 5 lights to Rues Lane. Right turn onto Rues Lane. Go 1/4 miles to parking lot 3 on right side.
Traveling north on NJ Turnpike
- Take exit 8A. Bear right after toll booth heading west on Rt. 32. At 1st light, turn right onto Middlesex County Rte. #535 north (South River-Cranbury Rd). After 7th light, follow signs for u-turn and left turn (reverse jug-handle). Make right onto Rues Lane and proceed through light 1/4 mile to parking lot 3 on right.