New Providence NJ Shoplifting Attorneys
Criminal Lawyer Defends Clients Against Shoplifting Charges in New Providence, New Jersey
People often misconstrue what it is to shoplift under New Jersey law. Shoplifting can be more than taking an item off the shelf and putting it in your jacket. In New Jersey, a shoplifting offense can include:
- Taking merchandise without paying the full retail price;
- Concealing merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value;
- Altering, transferring, or removing the label or price tag of any merchandise with the intent to deprive the owner of its full value;
- Transferring merchandise from one container to another with the intent of depriving the owner of its full value;
- Under-ringing merchandise; or
- Removing a shopping cart with no intention of returning it.
Penalties for Shoplifting & Retail Theft in New Providence, NJ
Shoplifting offenses can result in harsh penalties. The chart below outlines the penalties for shoplifting, which are determined by the total value of merchandise:
Merchandise Value ImprisonmentFineType of Offense$75,000 or more5 – 10 yearsUp to $150,0002nd DegreeOver $500 and less than $75,0003 – 5 yearsUp to $150,0003rd Degree$200 to $500Up to 18 monthsUp to $10,0004th DegreeLess than $200Up to 6 monthsUp to $1,000Disorderly Persons
Shoplifting Charges Heard in New Providence Municipal Court
New Providence Municipal Court handles shoplifting cases where the amount of merchandise taken totals less than $200. New Providence Municipal Court is located at 360 Elkwood Avenue. The Honorable Donald P. Bogosian presides over the Court. All other shoplifting cases are handled by the criminal division of the Union County Superior Court, located at 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth.
The law firm of Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC regularly represents clients from New Providence with shoplifting offenses. Casey Woodruff, Gary Grabas, and Robert Rowbotham all have experience as Prosecutors and have many years of experience handling shoplifting charges. Jon Bramnick is a Certified Civil Trial Lawyer with over 25 years of trial experience.
Free Consultations Available – New Providence Shoplifting Lawyer
If you have been charged with a shoplifting offense in New Providence, we may be able to assist you. Contact us at to schedule a free consultation, at (908) 322-7000.