Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
We Help Accident Victims Throughout Union, Essex and Somerset Counties, NJ
A traumatic injury, whether it is a serious spinal cord injury or a brain injury, can change your life forever. If you or a loved one has suffered any kind of back injury, you may have to deal with severe pain that requires extensive medical treatment and a lengthy rehabilitation period. Moreover, as the expensive medical bills begin to pile up, you may find yourself struggling to navigate an extremely complicated legal system while seeking justice and compensation.
When you are suffering from a severe injury, your first call should be to a battle-tested personal injury lawyer who will fight for you in the courtroom. Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC is a team of experienced personal injury attorneys who know how to fight on behalf of spinal cord injury victims. Jon Bramnick and the other attorneys at the firm have successfully handled countless personal injury claims throughout Union, Somerset and Essex counties, including Scotch Plains, Bridgewater and Newark. When you contact us, our attorneys will take the time to explain both the medical issues and the legal issues in your spinal cord injury case.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal injury typically occurs as a result of traumatic impact to the back, resulting in damage to the cells within the spinal cord. Any kind of impact to a person’s back can have serious long-term consequences because the body’s sensations and movements are controlled by the spinal cord. Moreover, the spinal cord delivers messages between the brain and the body, meaning that spinal trauma can prevent the brain from communicating with the rest of the body.
The most common types of spinal cord injuries include damage to the neck, upper back, middle back, hips and tailbone. If you or a loved one has been involved in any kind of accident, whether it is a car accident or a slip & fall, it is important to be on the lookout for the signs and symptoms of a serious spinal cord injury. Certain symptoms to watch for include extreme back pain, neck pain, headaches, numbness in the extremities, difficulty walking or maintaining balance, trouble breathing, loss of sensation anywhere in the body, loss of bowel control and muscle spasms.
Common Accidents That Cause Spinal Cord Injuries in Union County, Somerset County, and Essex County, NJ
Most spinal cord injuries are a result of severe impact to the spine in an accident. Some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries in New Jersey include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: The most frequent cause of spinal cord injuries in NJ is an auto accident. Whether the other driver was reckless or negligent, a violent impact in a motor vehicle can result in serious injuries to a person’s back and head. A study by the Mayo Clinic found that nearly half of all spinal cord injuries in the US are caused by auto accidents.
- Slip and falls: Another major cause of spinal cord injuries in the US is a slip and fall accident. Slip & falls and trip & falls are responsible for more than one-quarter of all spinal cord injuries, according to the Mayo Clinic. The numbers are even higher for elderly people who are more likely to suffer serious, and even fatal, back injuries as a result of a slip & fall accident.
- Sports-related injuries: Anyone who participates in a contact sport is at risk of sustaining a serious back injury, particularly if the sport exposes the participant to violent collisions.
- Workplace accidents: When you go to work, you have an expectation that your employer has taken steps to ensure your safety and protect you against serious injury. Negligent employers who fail to maintain a safe workplace for employees need to be held accountable. This is especially true if the workplace is a construction site or other workplace that may be considered inherently dangerous.
- Assaults and attacks: If you have been the victim of a violent encounter, you need to make sure that you seek immediate medical treatment, particularly if you sustained a back injury. In the event that you suffered a serious spinal cord injury as a result of an aggravated assault, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the owner of the property for failing to provide adequate security.
- Illnesses: Some spinal cord injuries are exacerbated by serious illnesses, such as cancer, arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Medical malpractice: If you sustained a back injury because of a surgical error or some other form of hospital negligence, you may be able to file a medical malpractice claim.
Free Consultation with Aggressive Spinal Trauma Attorneys in Scotch Plains, Bridgewater, and Newark
If you were involved in an accident and now find yourself suffering the effects of a serious spinal cord injury, it is imperative that you have qualified legal counsel on your side. The personal injury attorneys at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC will help you get necessary examinations by medical professionals, interview key witnesses, obtain and examine medical records, and help you determine the best course of action to maximize your compensation.
We understand how difficult it can be for you to deal with spinal trauma; that’s why we make ourselves available 24/7 to go over legal strategy and answer any questions you might have. Call us today to discuss your case or schedule a free consultation at one of our conveniently located offices in Scotch Plains, Newark, Clifton, Morristown, East Brunswick, or Cherry Hill.