DWI Lawyer Elizabeth, NJ
Elizabeth Attorneys Helping Clients Fight New Jersey DWI Charges
The Elizabeth DWI attorneys at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC know how serious a New Jersey drunk driving charge can be. After all, we have been helping clients fight such charges for many years and have seen firsthand the consequences defendants face. If found guilty of the charges, drivers may need forced to pay fines, spend time in jail, and lose their driving privileges. That’s why our lawyers work so hard for clients charged with a DWI; we have seen how people’s lives can fall apart after an arrest for drunk driving.
There are two common mistakes made by people charged with a New Jersey DWI. The first is to not fight the charges because they believe there is nothing they can do. The second is to try to fight the charges themselves. Both approaches are wrong. Your best chance of achieving a good outcome when facing a DWI in Elizabeth or Union County is to hire an experienced and knowledgeable drunk driving defense lawyer. Call Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC or contact us online for a free consultation.
How Our Elizabeth Lawyers Help Clients Fight a NJ DWI
At Bramnick Law, our Elizabeth legal team won’t back down in the face of a DWI charge. We investigate thoroughly, making sure that law enforcement followed the correct procedures when arresting and charging you. We are committed to protecting our clients’ rights and mounting a vigorous defense against all levels of DWI charges. We know that most people facing DWIs have never been arrested or had legal problems before. It’s a scary time, making it critical to have a seasoned attorney by your side who can explain the process and protect your rights.
Some of the things we can do to help you fight a DWI charge in Elizabeth or elsewhere in New Jersey:
- Challenge the standardized field sobriety tests. Many of the tests administered by law enforcement when they stop you on suspicion of DWI provide incorrect results in most cases. These tests are not 100% accurate in predicting whether someone has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or more. The three most common roadside tests, the horizontal gaze nystagmus (HGN), the walk-and-turn test, and the one-leg stand are accurate between 79 and 88 percent of the time. Moreover, even if the tests were 100 percent accurate, they do not take into consideration physical and medical problems that could prevent a sober person from performing the tests correctly. Our lawyers have successfully challenged the results of field sobriety tests.
- Challenge the administration of the breathalyzer (the Alcotest). We investigate whether the police officer was properly trained and certified, whether the machine was correctly calibrated, and whether the machine was correctly stored and maintained. Depending on the results of the investigation, our attorneys may be able to have the results of an Alcotest excluded from the case against you. Without tests results, the prosecution will face an uphill battle when trying to prove that you were intoxicated.
- Challenge the validity of the traffic stop. Did the officer have probable cause to stop you? If not, the case could be dismissed.
- Determine whether the police report matches the story told by the dashboard camera in the police vehicle. If the video does not confirm the written police report, your case could be dismissed.
Reasons to Fight a DWI in Elizabeth, NJ
There are many reasons to fight a DWI in New Jersey. Here are just of the few things you should consider:
- Any DWI conviction, whether it is your first or third, will make the penalties for any subsequent conviction much worse. Don’t risk it, even though you are positive it will never happen again. Any subsequent DWI within ten years will be treated as a second-time offense.
- License suspension that can range from three months to 10 years, depending on your BAC and the number of prior convictions.
- Jail time up to 180 days if the conviction is your second or third DWI.
- Fines and surcharges that you must pay to the court and the state of New Jersey.
- Increased vehicle insurance rates.
- Ignition interlocks that you must pay for. Depending on the number of DWI convictions and your BAC, you could be required to have the device on your vehicle for up to ten years
In addition, a DWI conviction can have negative consequences for your employment opportunities and other aspects of your life. Don’t risk it. Call our Elizabeth DWI lawyers as soon as possible after a DWI arrest.
Contact Our Elizabeth DWI Defense Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If you are facing a DWI charge in Elizabeth or anywhere in New Jersey, get help quickly from Bramnick Law. Call or contact us online for a free consultation to discuss your drunk driving case with an experienced defense lawyer. We will investigate the evidence against you, build a strong case, and protect your rights.
About Elizabeth, NJ and DWI Cases
DWI cases in Elizabeth are usually handled in Municipal Court, which is located at One Police Plaza in Elizabeth. If you must spend time in jail, you will probably serve your sentence at either the police jail, also at One Police Plaza, or at the Union County Jail in Elizabeth at 15 Elizabethtown Plaza. Even if you are not a resident of Elizabeth, you will probably have to appear here if you were arrested for DWI in the city. It is best to have a local attorney defend you against a DWI charge.
Call our Elizabeth DWI lawyers to discuss your case. We have decades of experience in these matters and will fight for the best possible outcome.