New Jersey Attorneys Representing People Injured in Deck and Railing Collapse Accidents
A deck, porch or balcony offers the perfect spot for dining, entertaining or just enjoying the outdoors. Sadly, one of life’s little pleasures can easily turn tragic when negligence is involved. Every year, people are seriously injured in falls from decks, porches and balconies.
If you have been injured or if a member of your family died a wrongful death in such an accident, please call (908) 322-7000 or contact the premises liability attorneys at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan today to arrange a free initial consultation. We represent people throughout New Jersey who were injured in accidents involving:
- Porch collapse
- Deck collapse
- Balcony falls
- Railing failure
Types of Injuries in NJ Railing Collapse Accidents
Imagine enjoying a summer evening on a friend’s deck, balcony or porch. You lean back against the railing and the next thing you know you are falling through the air. Depending on the structure, you might fall a few feet or several stories before you hit the ground.
Falls from decks, balconies and porches can result in extremely serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Lacerations from projecting nails
- Contusions and abrasions
- Sprains and strains
Wrongful Death in NJ Deck Accidents
Failures of decks, balconies, porches and railings can lead to wrongful deaths (link to Wrongful Death page), especially when the structures are high above the ground.
Six people died and seven more were seriously injured when an apartment balcony collapsed in Berkeley, California, in 2015. A porch collapse in Chicago in 2003 killed 13 people and seriously injuring fifty-seven others.
Common Causes of Injury in New Jersey Deck Falls
How do these tragedies happen? There are many ways a deck, balcony, porch or railing failure can cause injury or fatality, including:
- Age: Many decks, porches and balconies were built decades ago and are no longer structurally sound.
- Improper maintenance: Unless decks are sealed every year, water can cause the wood to rot.
- Building code violations: Decks are a common do-it-yourself project. Many weekend warriors built backyard decks without regard to building codes.
- Improperly attached: Using nails or lag screws that are not screwed into the building’s rim joists can cause a deck to separate from the main structure, creating a dangerous gap.
- Inadequate or poorly attached railings: Railings that are too low, too wobbly or missing entirely invite injuries.
- Improperly spaced slates or balusters: Children are at high risk of falling when vertical or horizontal railings are not spaced correctly.
- Exceeding weight capacity: Too many people on a small space can cause the structure to collapse.
If you have been injured by a collapsed railing, deck, porch or balcony in Camden County, the lawyers at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan can assist you in your claim. We have extensive experience in handling injury cases involving railing and deck collapses.
Our law firm offers quality legal representation and personal service. We will thoroughly investigate your case and identify all possible sources of financial compensation. We will pursue the full amount of money damage you are entitled to receive, including compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, lost earning capacity, current and future medical expenses and more.
Free Consultation with New Jersey Deck Collapse Lawyers
Please call (908) 322-7000 or contact us online. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and advise you of your legal option. There is no fee and no obligation. If you retain us as your law firm, you will pay no legal fees until we win financial compensation in your claim.
From our offices in Scotch Plains, Westfield, Morristown, East Brunswick, Clifton, Cherry Hill and Newark, New Jersey, we represent people injured in deck, porch and balcony collapses and railing failure accidents throughout New Jersey.