Rape Charges Defense Attorneys in Scott Plains, NJ
New Jersey Lawyers Defend Rape Charges in Essex, Union, and Middlesex Counties
Getting convicted of rape in the State of New Jersey may cost you your freedom, a significant amount in financial penalties and your reputation. While “rape” is a broad term that refers to varying degrees of sexual assault in New Jersey, most people think of a brutal act of aggravated sexual assault when they hear the word rape. Since penalties for sexual assault charges vary based on the specific circumstances of the incident, it is critical to hire an experienced, battle-tested criminal defense lawyer who will fight to defend you against rape charges.
If you or someone you know is facing rape charges in New Jersey, including statutory rape, aggravated sexual assault or sexual assault with a weapon, contact the seasoned criminal defense attorneys at Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC. We know that there are many sides to the story when it comes to rape charges. We will work tirelessly to discredit your accuser and defend you against the charges. Contact our law office today to speak with a successful, results-oriented lawyer about your case for free.
We represent clients across New Jersey, including Bloomfield, Newark, West Orange, South Orange, Montclair,Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Plainfield and Bernards Township.
Aggressive NJ Criminal Defense Attorneys Fight Sexual Assault Charges in Bedminster, Scotch Plains, and Bernards Township
Rape, or aggravated sexual assault, is a felony and punishable by a lengthy prison sentence, heavy fines and a permanent criminal record in New Jersey. It’s considered sexual assault when a person is believed to have forced or coerced another person to have sexual intercourse against that person’s will. However, even consensual sex may be considered rape if the person was underage (statutory rape) or mentally incapable of giving consent (mentally disabled or in a coma).
There are two main types of felonious sexual assault: sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault.
- The victim was forced or coerced but no severe personal injuries were sustained
- The accused had supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim who was detained in a prison, hospital or other institution
- The accused was in a position of power over the victim (teacher or family member), and the victim was at least 16 years old but less than 18 years old
- The accused was at least four years older than the victim, and the victim was at least 13 years old but younger than 16 years old
Aggravated Sexual Assault:
- The accused was in a position of power over the victim (teacher or family member) and the victim was 15 years old or younger
- The victim was younger than 13 years of age
- The rape occurred during the commission of specific crimes, such as kidnapping or robbery
- The accused was in possession of a weapon
- The accused was assisted by others
- Severe personal injuries were sustained by the victim
- The victim was mentally incapable of providing consent, and the accused should have known this
If no aggravating factors exist, the lesser charge of sexual assault is generally a second degree crime and carries penalties of up to 10 years in prison with 85% of that being ineligible for parole and up to $150,000 in fines. If the rape is classified as aggravated sexual assault, the accused may spend up to 20 years in prison with 85% of that being ineligible for parole and be fined up to $200,000.
Multiple defenses to sexual assault charges exist. Don’t delay in contacting an aggressive, knowledgeable NJ rape defense attorney who will determine which defensive strategy is in your best interest. At Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC, we will leave no stone unturned in defending your freedom.
If You’ve Been Charged with Any Type of Sexual Assault in Newark NJ, Contact an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Immediately
If you are facing rape charges, there is no time to lose in hiring a skilled criminal defense lawyer who will get started immediately defending your freedom and reputation. At Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold & Mangan, LLC, our team of experienced criminal defense lawyers has successfully defended countless clients facing various violent criminal charges, including rape. We understand what you are going through and we are here to help. Our legal team represents clients all over New Jersey, including Elizabeth, Somerville, Westfield and Hillsborough. Contact us today for a free consultation about your charges.